Sometimes parents have to dole out consequences to deal with misbehavior. But doing so while also nurturing the relationship can be challenging. Recently I came across some humorous consequences on a blog called Madsen’s Memories and decided to make a list of my own, using some of her ideas and some of my own. The object of the list is to make the kids groan and grin all at the same time– to know they’ve gotten a consequence, but to be laughing enough that the connection will still be nurtured. Obviously different stuff will tickle the funny bone of different kids, but here are some ideas that I think have potential.
- Clean a window with the sibling, one on each side
- Tell your sibling 3 things you love about them
- Bake cookies with your sibling
- Do a job for your sibling
- Vacuum a room with an ankle tied to a sibling’s ankle (3-legged race-style)
For not cleaning up after yourself or doing a chore badly:
- Do 25 jumping jacks while singing, “I am a cleaning machine.”
- Make your bed blindfolded.
- While hopping on one foot, wipe down all the kitchen appliances.
- Clean a bathroom toilet while singing Happy Little Working Song.
For arguing or being rude to mom:
- Tell mom 3 things you love about her
- Give mom 3 kisses on alternating cheeks
- Give mom a pedicure
- Play “Mother, May I?” with mom for 5 minutes
- Rub mom’s feet for 5 minutes
- Say “Yes, my beautiful mother” for the next hour anytime mom asks you to do something
I would LOVE to hear playful ideas that other folks have along these lines. In fact, I’m eager enough to get your creative juices flowing that I am offering a pound of THE best Ethiopian coffee in the world to the person who comes up with the most creative ideas. Multiple ideas happily accepted. What would make your kid laugh – AND think twice before disobeying again?
(And speaking of contests, the Probar winner is commenter #5 Jennifer.)Pin It