When John and I were newlyweds, we occasionally went to a downtown diner for breakfast. They had the best potatoes in town. This recipe (from Family Feasts for $75 a Week) is my adaptation of theirs. We often serve this with eggs and toast for breakfast. Feel free to make it meat-free if you wish. It is hearty enough to be an excellent breakfast-for-dinner option.
- 4 sausage links (or 4 slices of bacon)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet bell pepper, diced
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 5 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ripe tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley or cilantro, minced
- 1 chopped avocado, cubed, added just before serving (optional)
- Peel and dice potatoes. At this point to speed the cooking process, I like to zap the chopped potatoes in the microwave for 5 minutes or so, but this isn't essential. Dice onion and sweet pepper. Peel garlic. Dice tomatoes and avocado, if using.
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Cut sausage into 1/2 inch pieces and cook until browned. When sausage is cooked, remove to a bowl. Add onion to the sausage drippings in the hot skillet and cook until onion is soft and has some browned bits. Add sweet pepper and cook a couple more minutes, scraping pan well as you stir to loosen any browned bits. Remove veggies to a bowl.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of olive or coconut oil to whatever remains of the sasage drippings in the skillet. Add potatoes and cook without stirring for 3-5 minutes, until potatoes have one nicely browned side. Stir and continue to cook, stirring every couple minutes until potatoes are well browned and soft. You may need to turn the heat down a bit to allow steady cooking without burning. You can also toss 1/4 cup of water into the pan once or twice to keep potatoes from burning before they are cooked through.
- Once potatoes are fork-tender, return sausage, onion and sweet pepper to the pan. Add minced garlic and and fresh cilantro or parsley. Stir well to combine and cook a couple more minutes. Just before serving, add fresh cubed tomatoes and chopped avocado if desired.