I mentioned in yesterday’s post that I like to make my own salad dressings. Here are my three favorites. If you want more variety, my cookbook has several others as well. I find that pint sized canning jars are perfectly sized for these recipes. All of them come together in just a few minutes and will last at least a couple weeks in the fridge.
Easy French Dressing
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoons paprika
Combine all the ingredients in a pint jar with a tight-fitting lid. Chill for at least an hour before serving. Store tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to two months.
Creamy Ranch Dressing
Makes about 1- 3/4 cups
Prep Time: 5 minutes
This ranch dressing doesn’t require one of those fancy seasoning packets, but it is every bit as good.
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk (or a little more, for a thinner dressing)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
In a medium bowl, whisk together all the ingredients. If you like your dressing a little thinner, add more milk until you get the desired consistency. Pour into a pint sized jar with a tight-fitting lid. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to meld the flavors together before serving. Store tightly covered in the refrigerator. Lasts two weeks in the refrigerator.
Asian Salad Dressing
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Makes 1-1/2 cups
I love making this dressing to jazz up a simple carrot and cabbage slaw.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- 1/3 cup olive oil (or sesame oil is even better)
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup water
Put all ingredients into a pint size jar with a tight fitting lid. Put on lid and shake well. Remove lid, and heat jar in the microwave for 1 minute just to dissolve the honey. Let cool, and shake well before serving. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 months. Enjoy!